This is a platform for User Generated Content. G/O Media assumes no liability for content posted by Kinja users to this platform.

We've Got A Pro Trainer Here To Explain How To Get Your Act Together

Illustration for article titled Weve Got A Pro Trainer Here To Explain How To Get Your Act Together

Growing up in Massachusetts, I was raised a diehard sports fan.While some families sat around watching the Cosbys, we sat around watching Drew Bledsoe. Fast forward two decades: I am now the owner of, a site dedicated to helping desk jockeys, nerds, and average Joes get healthy.


Although I spend a considerable amount of time watching and discussing sports (in fact, my draft for this article was late because I was busy watching the Bruins complete the greatest last-minute comeback in NHL Playoff history), I also do everything I can to stay strong and healthy. This is why I'm here today: to help you lose weight and look better without forcing you to give up the stuff you love.

If you're expecting to hear things like "order a salad instead of a burger!" and "stick with light beer" or "get thee to Zumba," don't worry: I know that advice is useless. Instead, I prefer practical advice that helps those of us that live in the real world.


Use these three big rules to stay lean and mean:

1) 80/20 your meals. 80% of your success or failure when it comes to weight loss is how you eat, so I make sure that 80% of my meals are incredibly healthy. For the other 20% of my meals, I'm OK eating bar food and drinking beer guilt-free.


If you're wondering what I mean by “healthy meals,” I follow the Paleo Diet which essentially cuts out processed foods and leans towards meat, vegetables, fruit, and nuts. Too much change for you? Focus on eating fewer things from a drive-thru, and more food that grew in the ground.

2) Employ the "never twice in a row" rule. If you eat a bad meal or take a night off to watch a playoff game, make sure the next meal is healthy. If you miss a workout, make a promise to yourself that you will NOT miss the next workout. When trying to get healthy, building healthy habits is the most important thing you can do for yourself.


3) Stay active, stay strong. Again, your diet is responsible for 80% of your success, which means exercise is the other 20%. Don't worry, you don't need to go anywhere near a treadmill. Instead, find an activity that you enjoy (pick up basketball, tennis, softball, kickball, whatever), and find a way to do it as often as possible. The best kind of exercise? The kind you actually do.

Interested in getting better at that activity AND look better? Get stronger. A simple full body strength training routine helps build muscle and strength, burns fat, keeps you safe from injury, and improves performance.


So let’s get this shindig started: go ahead and send me your questions about getting stronger, eating better, and looking better while not giving up the things you love.

Deadspin's Better State of Living Conversation Series is brought to you with the assistance of State Farm®. Today, NerdFitness founder Steve Kamb has taken a break from playing video games and watching sports, to answer your health-related questions in the discussion section below.

Share This Story

Get our newsletter